Alexander Family History
1800 - Hope Alexander is born - N or S Carolina. - According to Ancestry.com Elizabeth Fish & William Alexander are the parents of Hope Alexander.
1819 - Hope marries James Henderson The LDS Ancestral File gives Hope Alexander as wife of John Henderson but I believe this is incorrect as I believe that she was the wife of John's brother James Henderson, Jr. Census & deed records give James' wife's name as Hopy & I have proven that John Henderson's wife was Elizabeth Wilson.
1830 - The following Alexander families were in St.FranCoMo - Ambrose, Cyrus, Hellem, Lawson, Wm.
1840 - The following Alexander families were in St.FranCoMo - Corbin, Lawson, Walton, William, & Jacob who lived in Pendleton T.
1850 - Census - The following Alexander family heads were in St. FranCoMo: Nancy, Lawson, Corbin, Hiram, Jacob, Lucy. (See bottom of page) - James & Hopy Henderson are living next door to the Nancy Alexander family. Nancy was born in NC in 1817. Also a Mary Alexander is in the household - she was born in NC in 1809.
1860 - The following Alexander family heads were in St. FranCoMo: William, James, Lawson, Corbin, Jacob
1863 - 1870 - Hopy's husband, James Henderson, died sometime between 1863 & 1870. 1870 Deed Record - St. Francois County, Missouri name his heirs in a dispute over his land.
1865 - Hopy & James Henderson's son, Corbin A. Henderson was appointed as an appraiser for the estate of David Murphy in St. Francois County.
1870 - Hopy Alexander Henderson is living with her son Corbin Henderson in Cane Creek Township, Butler County, Missouri.
1880 - Hopy Alexander Henderson is living
with her daughter, Jane Graham, in Pendleton Township, St. Francois Co., Mo.
Children of Hope Alexander & James Henderson Jr.
William Alexander - (Captain) 4th N.C.
Reg. Rev. War - Source: Tombstone of
Fourth regiment of North Carolina - Rev. War - was raised on January 16, 1776 at Wilmington, North Carolina for service with the Continental Army. The regiment saw action at the Battle of Brandywine, Battle of Germantown, Battle of Monmouth and the Siege of Charleston. The regiment was captured by the British Army at Charlestown, South Carolina on May 12, 1780. The regiment was disbanded on January 1, 1783. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4th_North_Carolina_Regiment
........There were 10 Continental Infantry Regiments from N.C. at Valley Forge. During the spring of 1778, the personnel of the 4th, 5th and 6th Regiments were absorbed by the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Regiments.....................The N.C. troops were some of the hardest "sufferers" at Valley Forge. Being so far from home, their supplies were a long time coming. Poor's Brigade Orderly Book in the collection of the VFHS here, mentions on at least two occasions that the N.C. regiments get first pick of some incoming supplies because of their lack of proper food and clothing. They suffered very heavy losses compared to other regiments. http://www.ushistory.org/valleyforge/youasked/052.htm
Commanders: Col. Thomas Polk, Lt. Col. James Thackston............The 4th North Carolina Regiment was authorized March 26, 1776 and assigned to the Southen Department. The 4th North Carolina Regiment was organized April 15, 1776 at Wilmington. It included eight companies from Salisbury, Edenton, and Wilmington Districts. On February 5, 1777, it was removed from the Southern Department and reassigned to the Northern Department. On July 8, 1777, it was assigned to the NC Brigade, an element of the Northern Department. June 1, 1778, it was removed from the Northern Department and reassigned to the Southern Department - stationed in Valley Forge, PA. The regiment was so depleted that it was sent home to recruit new men. In the Fall of 1779, it was reorganized at Halifax, NC, with nine (9) companies. On February 11, 1780, the 4th NC Regiment was assigned to Sumner's Brigade, an element of the Southern Department. At some point, this brigade was known as Armstrong's Brigade. May 12, 1780, the 4th NC Regiment surrendered to the British Army at the Fall of Charlestown, SC. Reconstituted from April to July of 1781, with detachments being hurriedly sent to South Carolina to support Maj. Gen. Nathanael Green. As men were recruited, they were assembled and marched southward, usually with no uniforms and with no arms or ammunition. The regiment was furloughed on January 1, 1783 at James Island, South Carolina and officially disbanded on November 15, 1783. http://www.carolana.com/NC/Revolution/revolution_nc_fourth_regiment.html
1817 - Settled in Jefferson Co., Mo.
1821 - Moved from Jefferson Co., Mo. to St. Francois Co., Mo.
William entered 700 acres of land adjoining the town of Farmington.
1822 - At the home of Jesse Murphy 1 April - William Alexander along with others was appointed a commissioner to locate a permanent seat of justice.
1830 - 1840 - William Alexander dies
Lawson Alexander, one of the oldest citizens & one of
the first settlers of St. Francois Co., Mo. was born
in Lincoln Co., North Carolina in 1800, & is the son of William &
Elizabeth (Fish) Alexander. The father was also a
native of Lincoln Co., N.C. & was of English extraction. He
was a farmer by occupation & immigrated to Jefferson Co., Mo. in
1817, but after remaining there four years moved to St. Francois
Co., where he died between 1830 - 1840. He was married to Miss
Fish, & to them were born eight children - three sons & five
daughters - of whom Lawson is the second son. He came to
Missouri in the company of his parents, & in 1825 married Miss
Polly McCormick, a native of Jefferson Co., Mo. who bore him
five children: Rufus, George, Lucy, Betsy, Ann & Isaiah,
all of whom, so far as known, are now living. Mrs. Lawson
Alexander was of Irish descent, her father having immigrated from
Ireland to America during the Revolutionary War. Mr.
Alexander has been an eye-witness of many remarkable changes in St.
Francois Co., during his life, & can relate some very interesting
events. He is now the owner of a comfortable home on the
outskirts of Farmington.
Children of Elizabeth Fish & William Alexander: 5 daughters & 3 sons:
The constant influx of settlers to the area brought about a demand for a permanent seat of government. Appointed as commissioners to locate the county seat were Henry Poston, William Alexander and James Holbert. A generous donor was found in the persons of David Murphy and His wife Rachel, who by deed dated September 2, 1822".....gave as a donation to the County of St. Francois, upon which to fix the county seat, fifty two acres of land........."
Dec. 19th, 1821, the county was organized from parts of Ste.
Genevieve, Washington and Jefferson. James Austin,
Geo. McGahan and James W. Smith
were appointed by the Governor as a county court, and their
first meeting, Feb. 25th, 1822, was at the house of Jesse
Murphy, when they appointed John D. Peers county clerk. The
first circuit court was held at the same place, April 1st, 1822,
Hon. N. B. Tucker judge, and John D. Peers clerk. Henry Poston,
John Andrews, Wm. Alexander and
James Holbert were appointed commissioners to locate the county
seat, and D. Murphy, Sept 22d,
1822, donated 53 acres of land for that purpose which the county
court accepted Feb. 27th, 1823. In 1824 a stray-pen and a log
jail, made double, and a brick court-house were built. At
various times churches and school-houses were built in
convenient localities; new settlers joined the pioneers, and
peace and prosperity reigned. [Note: The following are some of
the early citizens elected to represent St. Francois County in
the Missouri House of Representatives: Henry Poston (1826);
David Murphy (1828);
Corbin Alexander (1830, 1832).
PROBATE RECORDS ST. FRANCOIS CO., MO.
ST. FRANCOIS COUNTY MISSOURI:
This Alexander family is living next door to Hope Alexander & James Henderson.
This Alexander family was living one house away from Alfred Green.
WASHINGTON COUNTY MISSOURI:1840 Census:
Alexander, A.T.- Hiram - Jo - John P. - Joseph
Alexander, John E.
Bellevue Presbyterian Cemetery - Alexander: