CASEY FAMILY HISTORY
 

Washington County Missouri

 

At right:  Casey family home was built by slaves in 1825.  Casey descendants still reside in this beautiful mansion.

CaseyHome.JPG (23919 bytes)
 

From: Goodspeed's History of Washington County, Missouri (1888 Reprint)

Andrew Casey (deceased), the father of Andrew F., Edmond & Morgan A. Casey, was born in County Cork, Ireland, in 1790, where he was reared & learned the shoemaker's trade, which he followed until 1817, when he sailed for America, landing at Halifax.  Thence he went to Washington, D. C., where he worked for a time, thence to St. Louis, & in 1819 located in Washington County, Mo., where he followed his trade, & in connection with his brother John, who accompanied him to America he carried on farming, mining & merchandising. They conducted a successful business until 1836, when the firm was dissolved & Andrew purchased a large tract of land near Potosi, upon which he erected a flour mill; &, until his death, which occurred in 1852, was engaged in farming & milling.  February 2, 1836, he married Bridget Flynn, a native of County Waterford, Ireland, who is still living & has but recently removed from the home that had been hers for fifty years.  Eight children were born to them, viz.: Catherine (deceased), Bridget, Andrew F., Margaret (deceased), Edmond, Mary Ellen (deceased), Morgan A., & Agathy (deceased).  Andrew F. Casey was born in Washington Co.,Mo., March 15, 1840, & was reared a farmer, receiving his education at Potosi & the Christian Brothers College, of St. Louis.  He enlisted during the late war, & served four years in the Confederate States army, participating in many closely contested engagements, & enduring severe hardships.  He surrendered at Columbus, Miss., May 16, 1865, & returned to Missouri, where he spent two years on a farm, & the following five years was engaged in the selling of goods at Richwoods.  In 1874 he was elected to the office of circuit clerk & recorder, & after serving one term resumed merchandising, which he carried on most of the time until 1882, when he was again elected to the office of circuit clerk & recorder, being re-elected in 1886.  October 25, 1877, he married Miss Lizzie Crain, who was born in Boston, Mass.  They have five children: Catherine, Andrew F., Agnes, William H. and James B.
 

Edmond Casey, the second eldest son of Andrew Casey, a sketch of whom appears above, was born in Washington County, October 10, 1844, & spent his early life on the family homestead, working on the farm & attending school until the outbreak of the war. In 1862 he enlisted in the Third Missouri Cavalry, Confederate States army, under command of Col. Colton Green, & for three years participated in all the engagements of his company; he was wounded at Hartsville, Mo., & also at Prairie De Ann, but remained with his company until the surrender at Shreveport, La., when he returned home. He attended school for a time at the Christian Brothers’ College, St. Louis, & then was engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1876. He next established a general merchandising business in Potosi, which he conducted until 1879, when he removed to Shibboleth Mines & engaged in farming, mining & merchandising for seven years. He then sold out & removed to Potosi, & in partnership with Mr. A. Bane engaged in manufacturing & selling lumber. They have several thousand acres of land & a good mill on Indian Creek, Washington County, & find a ready sale for their product. Mr. Casey was married February 11, 1874, to Miss Ollie Smith, who was born in Louisville, Ky., & is a daughter of Jacob Smith, of that State. They have five children: Rebecca, Edmond, James H., Henry & Mary. Mr. Casey is an upright, honorable business man, & enjoys in a high degree the confidence of the community. He takes great interest in educational matters, is secretary of the school board, & any enterprises calculated to advance the interests of the town receive his warm support.

Morgan A. Casey, the youngest son of Andrew Casey, is one of the prominent citizens of Potosi, & was born on the family homestead February 22, 1850, receiving his education at the Christian Brothers’ College of St, Louis, & being reared to the pursuits of the farm, which occupation he followed until 1877, when he removed to Potosi & engaged in the livery business; he was agent for the Southern Express Company for many years. November 20, 1877, he married Miss Teresa James, a native of Monroe County, Ill., & a daughter of Dr. L. James, of Washington County; her mother’s maiden name was Mary Reynolds. Mr. & Mrs. Casey have two children living: Morgan J. & Bridget. Louis, the eldest, died April 13, 1880. Mr. Casey is an enterprising business man, & has the confidence of all who enjoy his acquaintance.

"Hon. Andrew Casey is a son of John Casey, one of the early pioneers of Washington County, who was born in County Cork, Ireland, where he lived until 1817, when in company with a brother, Andrew Casey, he immigrated to the United States, stopping first in Washington, D.C.  After remaining there for a while he removed to St. Louis, & in 1819 to Washington County, where, in partnership with his brother, he engaged in farming, mining & merchandising.  In 1827 he returned to Ireland & married Margaret Mulvey & once more came to his adopted country, continuing his business until 1836, when the partnership with his brother was dissolved, & John Casey conducted the business alone until his death in 1859.  Mrs. Casey died in 1854.  Nine children were born to the, six of whom are now living, viz.: Catherine, now Mrs. John Clancy;  Andrew; John, who was a captain in the Confederate army; Morgan, William & Johanna, wife of Martin Boyce.  Dr. Frank Casey, a son, died in 1873.  Andrew Casey was born in Washington County, where he was reared & educated.  He early commenced the mercantile business, which vocation he followed for many years.  He was married June 10, 1869, to Miss Pauline Harris, who was born in Potosi, where she died in 1880, leaving one daughter, Katie.  Mr. Casey held the office of county treasurer, & in 1882 was elected judge of the probate court, which office he has since held, having proved himself a competent & faithful official.

William J. Casey, a farmer & stock-raiser, was born in Potosi, Washington County, Mo., August 26, 1839, & is a son of John & Margaret (Mulvey) Casey, a sketch of whom is embodied in the biography of Judge Andrew Casey.  William J. Casey, in partnership with his brother, Capt. John Casey, of St. Louis, owns the old homestead where his father did business for many years & which contains 1,000 acres of land, one of the most desirable stock farms in the county.  William J. was reared in Washington County, & received his education at the St. Louis University.  He well merits the esteem & respect he commands from a host of friends, & is an enterprising agriculturist.  He has never married.

 

In 1831 William Milam proposed to donate to the citizens of Potosi a lot between Breton & High Streets for a cemetery, & a subscription was at once commenced to raise funds to clear & fence the lot............Andrew Casey donated $1
 

The following is a complete directory of the business of the town [Potosi] at the present writing (February, 1888):............ agricultural implements—Edmund Casey; lumber—Bean & Casey;   livery stables - Morgan A. Casey & Casey & Flynn.............
 

Caledonia, twelve miles south of Potosi..............the flouring mill of Harvey & Casey, which was erected in 1875, at a cost of §12,000,


 

Casey Family Plot1.JPG (16555 bytes)

Casey Family Plot - St. James Cemetery - Potosi

 

 

The Potosi Journal - 19 April 1911

The circuit court got through with the Yarbrough brothers, Albert & Walter, last Thursday morning by handing them two years each in the penitentiary on the charge of felonious assault.  They were taken to Jeff. City by Sheriff Casey the latter part of last week, Harvey Huitt going along as Deputy Sheriff.  There are three of the Yarbrough boys in the pen now, Chris having been sent there from Howell county some time ago on a 15 year sentence for horse-stealing & jail-breaking.  Walter got four years altogether in the circuit court here last week, & Albert has the best part of a paroled sentence of five years to serve out now in addition to the two years he has just received.  The Yarbrough boys have been a heavy burden to the taxpayers of this county for a number years because of their criminal tendencies piling up court costs.


 
The Montgomery Tribune  -  August 14, 1908  -  Springfield Mo.

While on her way to the normal school Wednesday morning Miss Katherine Casey, a student whose home is at Potosi, Missouri, stepped in front of a work train of the Springfield Traction Co.  Three cars passed over her body.  She was 24 years old and a daughter of Andrew Casey, former marshal of St. Louis court of appeals.  Miss Casey was on her way to take her examinations preparatory to securing a certificate to teach school when she was killed.

Submitted By:  Christine Lembeck:


 
Washington Globe, February 9, 1889  -  Appointed postmasters:  John Casey, Old Mines, Missouri

 

Evening State Journal - 2 October 1919

Sheriff L. W. Casey of Washington county, Missouri, called on Governor McKelvie Thursday & obtained extradition warrants which authorize him to take Clark & Raymond Nicholson back to Peoria, Mo., on the charge of robbing a store the latter part of June.  Goods valued at $100 were taken from the store.  Claude Hays, another man charged with the same offense, is in custody.  The Nicholson brothers were arrested at Havelock.


 

 

HighStreetHouse01.jpg (23832 bytes)

Casey Haunted House - Potosi, Missouri

When this house was a boutique in the early 2000's a friend started to go up stairs to look around & a teddy bear came flying down the steps at her.  When she got upstairs there was no one up there that could have thrown it.  Sometimes strange noises are heard in the building.  It was formerly owned by the Casey's, the White's & a Dr. Palmer.  Located on W. High St. it is now a private residence. 

 
 
HAUNTED POND:  This property is part of an 80 acre tract that was originally owned by George Casey.  United States to George Casey - Entry No. 5, 102 Entered: 1 March 1837 - W1/2 of SE1/4 of Section 31, T37 R3E   Land Office:  Jackson, Mo.  Certificate No. 5102  Mo. Vol. 346, Pg. 155  It was divided over the years & parcels sold off.

 
 

 

JOHN CASEY Sr. - 1850 Slave Schedule - Washington County, Missouri

Name Age Sex Color
slave 45 M B
slave 28 F B
slave 27 M B
slave 23 M M
slave 21 M B
slave 20 M B
slave 19 M B
slave 15 M B
slave 10 M B
slave 8 F B
slave 6 M B
slave 50 F B

 

JOHN H. CASEY - 1850 Slave Schedule - Washington County, Missouri

Name Age Sex Color
slave 45 M B
slave 34 M M
slave 34 F B

 

See also "Washington County Missouri In The Civil War" for more Caseys.
 

 

**********************************************************************************************************